The Escape Game is a nationwide franchise that, in addition to its Chicago location, has branches all across the country in such places as Atlanta, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, and Nashville, among several others. The Escape Game Chicago is comprised of a series of themed rooms in which guests are placed and given an hour to solve some sort of imaginary mystery, puzzle, and/or crime.
Popular Escape Games
The Escape Game Chicago is home to 5 distinct adventures. Each game offered here has its own unique flavor and attributes, so even before the clock starts ticking on your escape, your first difficult decision will be picking which one to play! Most of these games run 8 different times each day—sometimes kicking off as early as 8:00am or starting as late as 11:55pm—but schedules vary daily, so you’ll need to check their website when planning your outing. Each game here can accommodate a maximum of 8 guests at a time, so if you’re traveling as part of a larger group or family, you’ll need to make special arrangements if you all want to participate in the same game at the same time.
The Heist: This hour-long game has you sleuthing your way to the recovery of a stolen artistic masterpiece. Perfect for groups between 2 and 8 people, “The Heist” costs approximately $35 per person. It usually runs 8 different times each day.
Prison Break: Participants of “Prison Break” have 60 minutes to escape from a jail cell in which they’ve been wrongfully imprisoned. This game runs 8 different times each day, and costs approximately $35 per person. Each time slot has space for 8 people.
Gold Rush: Another hour-long event available at The Escape Game Chicago, “Gold Rush” has you racing against a band of Wild West criminals to see who can recover a hidden fortune of California gold first. Each time slot—and there are typically 8 each day—has space for anywhere between 2 and 8 people. Approximately $35 per person.
Mission: Mars: This space-age game has you landing on Mars for the trip of a lifetime—only for your ship to become terribly damaged. You have one hour to get your spacecraft operational again or disaster will strike! “Mission: Mars” costs approximately $40 per person, and is offered to groups of 2-8 people 8 times each day.
Special Ops: Mysterious Market: With this special game, you’re a special agent tasked with discovering what exactly is taking place in a quiet-yet-creepy local marketplace. Suitable for groups of 2-8 people, “Special Ops: Mysterious Market” is offered 8 times each day, lasts around 60 minutes, and costs approximately $35 per ticket.
Things to Know & Insider Tips
- While reservations are not required, The Escape Game Chicago strongly recommends you purchase tickets in advance—that way you’ll guarantee you can participate in the game of your choosing at the time that works for you.
- If something comes up and you can’t make it to your reservation, keep in mind that if you cancel at least 48 hours in advance of your scheduled game, you’ll receive a full refund.
- Make sure to arrive to The Escape Game Chicago at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start time of your game. This will give you plenty of time to check-in and get your bearings—and it will ensure you don’t lose any of your precious 60 minutes of game time by being late!
- Given its location in the heart of Chicago’s vibrant River North neighborhood, just two blocks west of Michigan Avenue, finding parking in the area can be a painful and expensive process. However, The Escape Game Chicago often has arrangements with nearby garages that’ll get you a great discount on parking in the area. Make sure to look into the availability of such a deal ahead of time, so you’ll know which garage to park in ahead of time.
- There are no strict age limits at The Escape Game Chicago, but they do recommend participants be at least 13 years of age.
Is Escape Game for You?
If you’re looking for an exciting, hands-on experience that gets your mind and body active and engaged, The Escape Game Chicago could make for a really fun time. With individual tickets running in the $35 to $40 range for an outing that typically lasts just a single hour, The Escape Game Chicago is far from inexpensive—especially if you’re planning on visiting as part of a sizable group. Also, for visitors to Chicago traveling with children under the age of 13 or so, there are probably more suitable activities for the little ones. However, those folks that decide to try The Escape Game in Chicago almost always walk away thrilled by their highly satisfying experience.
Save on the Escape Game
Go Chicago Card or Chicago Explorer Pass includes admission to any one of the five immersive escape room scenarios. That combined with the included admissions to other Chicago Tourist attractions can save you a lot of money on your trip.